[Samba] Re: samba digest, Vol 1 #2021 - 20 msgs

john at mbstemps.com john at mbstemps.com
Tue Dec 31 00:05:01 GMT 2002

>> Message: 1
> From: "Pat Schlehuber" <pat at schlehuber.net>
> To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
> Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 11:23:16 -0600
> Subject: [Samba] Slow performance
>
> I have been fighting this problem for months now. My performance under Samba
> and XP has ben umbearable. The scenario is running Samba 2.2.7a under SuSE
> 8.0 as a PDC. The XP machine logs onto Samba and the roaming profiles are
> downloaded then stops for 15 minutes or so. The network is verified 100Meg
> full-duplex, FTP transfers between the machines are robust and so no
> problems in connectivity. Any idea would be greatly appreciated. I have
> tried different versions of Samba to no avail and have this problem on 2
> different XP machines.
>

> I have turned loglevel 3 and see the following during this time:

Pat,
I too had serious performance problems with Samba and Windows XP Pro.  The system was 50% slower than the same
computer running Win 98.  After this I dropped the network
'Wizzard' entries and just entered the addresses I needed
for my TCP connection and my test times dropped from 175sec
to 73-75 secs. Then I updated my hardware to an AMD1800+ and
the times dropped to 12 - 14 secs. for the same test.  The
bottom line is, strip all the extra junk from your win XPP
network setup and see significant performance increases.