[Samba] Problems with a PDC

David Soler beavies at punkass.com
Mon Dec 30 22:29:01 GMT 2002

 Hi Brad and Thanks :)

On Dec/30/2002, Bradley W. Langhorst wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-12-30 at 16:49, David Soler wrote:
>
> Okay - i'm replying just because of the punkass domain name...
>
> > I can't log in, or validate users, against the samba server. When in a
> > windows machine an user press crtl+alt+del and
> > puts his username+password+domain correctly, windows responds that
> > it can't connect to the domain controller or that account doesn't exist on
> > the server... but it exists.
> it's talking about the machine account (must be the machine's name
> ending in $)

Yes, I did it:

%useradd -g <Group> -d /dev/null -c "my windows Machine" -s /bin/false pc01$
%passwd -l pc01$
%smbpasswd -a -m pc01

> > Obviously, the user exists in the server: /etc/passwd and
> > /.../smbpasswd and have the rights to log in.
> there must be both the user's account in both AND
> the machine's account in both.

yes

> > So my question is:
> >
> > - How can I use Samba to validate users (and make then execute a logon
> > script when they log in) ?
> you have the right idea with the logon script parameter
> you may also want to set up roaming profiles with a
> "logon path" parameter
>

> > - There are problems with Windows XP ?
> not really - you just need to apply the
> signorseal reg fix to get them to log on to a samba controlled domain.

umm.. perhaps is that fix what i need. Thx again :)

> > Well... That's all.
> >
> > Thanks for your patiente and sorry for my English level ;P.
> your english is just fine
> you should walk through the DIAGNOSIS.TXT file to find out the exact
> problem.
>
> try checking the permissions of the directory you specify in the
> netlogon share (users must have read access)

yes

> make sure that your windows clients are configured to use the samba
> server as the wins server.

yes

> I notice that you have a "home" share and not a "homes" share.
>
> the homes share will do what you want i think
> (point to the user's home directory on unix)

I'll read the docs about this point :).

> if you still cant get it working have a look in the logs as you try to
> log into the domain.

There is an error that gets logged in log.smbd when I tried to
join the windows client in samba domain:

rpc_server/srv_samr.c:api_samr_set_userinfo(670)
api_samr_set_userinfo: Unable to unmarshall SAMR_Q_SET_USERINFO

> brad
> --
> Bradley W. Langhorst <brad at langhorst.com>

David.