[Samba] newbie questions

Stephen Kuhn stephen.kuhn at gmx.net
Mon Dec 30 22:08:01 GMT 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 03:09, Sommers, David (NIH/NIMH) wrote:
> I can ping my Windows computer from samba computer - running RH7.3. I can
> ping the samba server from windows box - can ping only with IP addresses not
> names. When I double click on the samba server in Network Neighborhood on
> Windows box it asks for password to \\Hpomnibook\IPC$. That is the name of
> the server. I cannot get farther than this. Have set up share as AllFiles -
> just to get going. I log into Windows computer with same user name and
> password as the Linux box - except when I login to Unix box as root. I am
> running Lisa on the Linux box - does this matter? Any help to this lost in
> Linux person appreciated.
>
> David
> David I. Sommers, Ph.D.
> Scientific Review Administrator
> Interventions Review Committee (ITV)
> National Institute of Mental Health
> 6001 Executive Boulevard
> Room 6144, MSC 9608
> Bethesda, MD 20892
> Rockville, MD 20852 (for express or courier service)
> 301-443-7861 - voice
> 301-443-4720 - fax
> dsommers at mail.nih.gov - email

David - seeing that you've already made modifications to your
/etc/samba/smb.conf file, is it safe to assume that you've already setup
the workgroup/domain name as being the same as the Windows boxes? Here
is a sample of what mine looks like:

[global]
	workgroup = KMA
	netbios name = KMA1
	netbios aliases = kma1
	server string = KMA1
	security = SHARE
	null passwords = Yes
	pam password change = Yes
	username map = /etc/samba/user.map
	unix password sync = Yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 0
	keepalive = 2
	socket options =
		SO_KEEPALIVE SO_BROADCAST
		TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_THROUGHPUT
		SO_SNDBUF=16384 SO_RCVBUF=16384

	preferred master = Yes
	default service = global
	guest ok = Yes

[tmp]
	comment = Temporary file space
	path = /tmp
	read only = No
	public= Yes

[var]
	comment = Web and Temp Space
	path = /var
	read only = No
	public = Yes

...and as far as the "same username/password on both machines" -
sometimes you have to reset the unix smb username and password to get it
working properly ...(and of course, if you make changes to any of this,
please make sure to restart the smb server - or reboot)

Are you also using SWAT to do your configurations via the browser?

--
Tue Dec 31 09:00:00 EST 2002
  9:00am  up 1 day, 15:04,  6 users,  load average: 0.17, 0.37, 0.30