[Samba] Problems with a PDC

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Mon Dec 30 22:04:01 GMT 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-30 at 16:49, David Soler wrote:

Okay - i'm replying just because of the punkass domain name...

> I can't log in, or validate users, against the samba server. When in a
> windows machine an user press crtl+alt+del and
> puts his username+password+domain correctly, windows responds that
> it can't connect to the domain controller or that account doesn't exist on
> the server... but it exists.
it's talking about the machine account (must be the machine's name
ending in $)

> Obviously, the user exists in the server: /etc/passwd and
> /.../smbpasswd and have the rights to log in.
there must be both the user's account in both AND
the machine's account in both.

> So my question is:
>
> - How can I use Samba to validate users (and make then execute a logon
> script when they log in) ?
you have the right idea with the logon script parameter
you may also want to set up roaming profiles with a
"logon path" parameter

> - There are problems with Windows XP ?
not really - you just need to apply the
signorseal reg fix to get them to log on to a samba controlled domain.

> Well... That's all.
>
> Thanks for your patiente and sorry for my English level ;P.
your english is just fine
you should walk through the DIAGNOSIS.TXT file to find out the exact
problem.

try checking the permissions of the directory you specify in the
netlogon share (users must have read access)

make sure that your windows clients are configured to use the samba
server as the wins server.

I notice that you have a "home" share and not a "homes" share.

the homes share will do what you want i think
(point to the user's home directory on unix)

if you still cant get it working have a look in the logs as you try to
log into the domain.

brad
--
Bradley W. Langhorst <brad at langhorst.com>