[Samba] WinNT -> samba -> Linux -> NFS -> Solaris

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Dec 30 02:33:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, 2002-12-27 at 10:13, Carlos Oliva G. wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-12-26 at 19:44, Sundaram Ramasamy wrote:
> >
> > I have Solaris machines that I'd like to use to
> > gain access to SMB shared drives.  I can get a Linux box to
> > mount SMB shares via samba.  I can get a Solaris box to access
> > files on a Linux box using NFS.  Can I get the Solaris box to
> > access files on the Linux box, which actually are mounted to SMB
> > shares using samba (smbmount) on the Linux box?
> >
> > Is there any documents for this?
> >
> > Thanks
> > -SR
>
> If I understood right, and assuming your smb shares are on a windows
> machine, you have something like this:
>

> windows box  ====>    Linux box    ====>   Solaris box
>               SMB                   NFS
>
> If that's correct, what you wanna do is perfectly possible and legal.
> You just need to mount the smb share from the (supposed) windows box to
> the linux one using samba, and then reexport the directory with the
> mount point using NFS to the solaris box... no extra docs are needed, be
> sure to activate oplocks in the samba config file on linux box.
>
> Regards,

Just watch out that NFS can make assumptions about inodes - particularly
the kernel-mode NFS daemon.  I would suggest either looking at a product
on your Solaris box directly - with something like smbwrapper or sharity
(commercial).  Less hops means less translations, which can make this
stuff a bit hairy.  You might also consider using a user-space NFS
daemon if the kernel one gives you grief.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net