[Samba] CUPS permissions issues

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Fri Dec 27 16:55:02 GMT 2002

Tom Hallewell <hallewellt at rfa.org> wrote on Samba-digest

> Fri Dec 27 16:04:00 2002
>
> Hello-
> I am running Debian Woody, Samba 2.2.7, and Cups 1.1.14-3.
> I can print as any local Linux client, but there is a permissions issue when
> I try to print from Windows 2000.
> My spool directory is /var/spool/cups,

I hope you didn't set the *Samba* spool directory the same as
the *CUPS* spool directory??

> the permissions are set 700 to user
> lp and group sys.  If I chmod the directory to 777, printing works fine, but
> when I restart cupsd, the permissions revert back to 700.
> I am running Domain-level security, as well as ACLs and winbindd, not sure
> if this matters.
> It seems like I am missing something really simple, so am giving a simple
> description now, but I can supply much more detail if needed.
>
> Here is the relevant stuff from smb.conf:
>  load printers = yes
>  printcap name = cups
>  printing = cups
>
> [printers]
>    comment = All Printers
>    path = /var/spool/cups

Ah, yes, it seems you did.

You need to understand: Samba spooling and CUPS (or any other "real"
print subsystem in Unix) spooling are two different kinds of birds
and need to be kept separate. When you print to Samba from a Windows
client, the printfile goes to the Samba (spool) path specified in your
smb.conf first, and is under control of smbd. Then, smbd, hands this
file to the print daemon (here: "cupsd"), and the file moves  to the
spool directory of that print daemon (as determined in cupsd.conf;
most likely it is also "/var/spool/cups/").

Change your [printers] entry to "path = /var/spool/samba" (and make
sure this exists) and your problem will be gone.

The permissions change back when cupsd is re-started, because cupsd
claims an exclusive right to "its" spool directory.