[Samba] smbclient thinks passwordless account is anonymous

John Tyner jtyner at cs.ucr.edu
Fri Dec 27 16:43:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 08:03:40AM -0500, Joel Hammer wrote:
> Hmmm...
>
> I don't know much about windows. The problem likely lies in the windows
> server, methinks. smbclient is taking the user personality provided by the
> windows server, no?

I don't think so, but...

What's happening is, I'm using smbclient to connect from the linux machine to the windows
machine. The account on the windows machine has no password. When I try to connect using
that account, then it fails, and smbclient prints something about an anonymous login
succeeding. However, if I give the account a password and try to connect, it works... no
message about anonymous logon.

On the surface, it _seems_ that smbclient maps an account with no password to an anonymous
user. I suspect that that's probably not the case, but I'm hoping someone can tell me what
the expected/intended behavior in this situation is and even how to correct it if it is
indeed a problem.

> I lost your first post. But, does your version of windows (98, for example),
> have much of a concept of "user".

I'll let you make that call. :) It's XP.