[Samba] Optimizing Samba

Robert Adkins raa at impelind.com
Fri Dec 27 15:33:00 GMT 2002

Hello All,

	I have put together a Samba PDC for a mixed Bag of Windows Client
workstations. We have a few Windwos 9x, some Win NT 4.0 and a handful of
Windows 2000 workstations. The server is operating fine as a PDC for all
workstations, all the permissions are properly set and things are running
mostly smoothly.

	There are a few things that are somewhat slow moving on the network. For
example, a few users utilize ACT! 4.0 and ACT! 6.0 for contact
management. Their contact Databases are located on the server, in order
to keep them available if they need to change workstations and also for
back-up purposes. The only issue they have is when exiting the
application both versions of ACT! take an inordinate amount of time to do
their shutdown. I believe that both versions reset some lock files and do
a few other minor things to the datafiles during the closing process.

	On our old server, those applications closed down almost instantly. So,
what I need is some optimization ideas in order to speed up those close
writes to the ACT! DC Files.

	Another minor issue that I have is that sometimes in Windows Explorer,
some files aren't listing properly. The files are all named numerically
and normally all list in ascending order. (ie. 12319 comes first, 12320
comes second and so on...) On occasion, one or more files will show up
out of order, always at the end of the file listing. (ie. The last file
created and numbered is 12319, but the last file in the listing is shown
as 11245.)

	I think that this might have to do with it being accessed by a Windows
98 First Edition system that has occasion to open some of those files.
The workstation that normally creates and accesses those files is a
Windows 2000 Professional workstation.

	Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,
Robert Adkins II
IT Manager/Buyer
Impel Industries, Inc.