[Samba] windows to linux printer problem

Jerry M. Howell II jmhowell at jmhowell.com
Fri Dec 27 13:12:01 GMT 2002

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 11:52:31PM -0500, Joel Hammer wrote:
> Suggestions:
> 1. A driver problem.
> 2. A two way communication problem. Turn off two way communication in the
>      printer setup on the windows client.
> 3. Add
>     use client driver = yes
>    to your share definition.
> 4. Monitor the interaction with tcpdump.
> 5. Look in log.smbd
> 6. Learn how cups works.

Ok, I chcked out the apropriate log and got the following

[2002/12/27 06:43:29, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(436)
read_data: read failure for 4. Error = Connection reset by peer

Any clues, I did a google search but it didn't seem to turn up anything
I could use. Of course with me being new to this kinda samba
configuration and rarely using samba at all before I probably overlooked
it. Here is my smb.conf file. I configured it using swat.

[global]
        workgroup = MSHOME
        server string = MSHOME LAN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        pam password change = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
        unix password sync = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 0
        dns proxy = No