[Samba] Samba 3.0 PDC and Active direcory

Alex Pita newmail at softhome.net
Fri Dec 27 09:20:01 GMT 2002

Hello all,

I'm using samba 2.2.7a acting as PDC on my lan (clients are only Windows
2000 Professional). All is working fine except one thing: Active Directory!

I read the documentation and i saw that samba 3.0alpa21 it has support
for Active directory. I downloaded this version and before start i read
the docs. It seems to be not what i am looking for. I said this because
for ADS support, is required the following pieces:

Windows 2000 Server
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Samba 3.0
Kerberos5
OpenLdap

So, the conclusion is only one: I still required a Windows 2000 Server
Platform. I suppose because Samba will connect to W2k Server and import
from there Active directory policy.

What i want is to use ONLY Windows 2000 Professional (for clients) and a
Linux box for Sammba PDC and ADS. If W2k server is still required in
this case the Linux and Samba become UNUSEFULL (because all things can
be done using W2k server platform not only ADS policy)

Can somebody tell me if exist any schema to support ADS on Samba without
using a W2k Server?

For example:

In samba -> netlogon i have a script which sincronize time between Samba
server and W2k clients. Without ADS support is necessary to login on
each W2k client OS and add using Local Security Policy Editor each
particular settings for an user from my domain which want to connect to
this station (Time settings is allowed by default only for power users,
or if i add a new group with some particular settings). This thing is
verry difficult to implement if i have more then 2-3 client stations in
my LAN.

Can anybody tell me how can i do this job? I need to implement one
global policy which will be applied (imported) to all stations located
in my LAN.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Regards,
Alex