[Samba] WinXP can't open print queue listing

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Fri Dec 27 05:23:00 GMT 2002

I have the same problem described in the above posting: using WinXP (he
used Win2K, presumably WinNT does the same thing), you print something, but
the print queue display shows an error message and doesn't show your
job(s). The described solution worked for me too: add to
/etc/samba/smb.conf [global] disable spoolss = yes.  This makes the clients
downgrade to LANMAN-style commands, and the queue displayer works.

I thought a little more detail about what happened might be useful.

Samba version: 2.2.5
Distro: SuSE 8.1
Kernel: 2.4.19 (custom kernel, not the one from the distro)
Print manager: cups v1.1.15
Partner: Windows XP Professional
What you see:

Log in to WinXP as an ordinary user (with admin privileges).
This user (by loginID) has a UNIX account and is in the group listed in
    "printer admin".