[Samba] windows to linux printer problem

Mathias Homann admin at eregion.de
Thu Dec 26 23:27:00 GMT 2002

Am Donnerstag, 26. Dezember 2002 21:09 schrieb Jerry M. Howell II:
> Hello all,
>
>    I know I need to read the manual but I don't even know where I need
>    to look in the manual. I'm haveing a little bit of a problem getting
>    XP to print to my linux printer. I've got the smb.conf file set up to
>    allow xp to access the corect share and it even sees the printer but
>    it apears it doesn't have permision to print to it. What might I need
>    to do to give it the corect permisions to print to the linux printer?
>    My setup is the following:

You might not have a permissions problem; I have the same setup here (ok,
almost, my server's a SuSE 8.0 instead of a redhat) and I had to enable the
raw support in cups to be able to print from samba.

locate the file named mime.types that _BELONGS TO CUPS_. dunno where redhat
places it, on suse its in /etc/cups/
look for the line "application/octet-stream", most likely near the bottom of
the file. make sure it isn't commented out.

bye,
[MH]