[Samba] WinNT -> samba -> Linux -> NFS -> Solaris

Carlos Oliva G. carlos.oliva at igloo.cl
Thu Dec 26 23:14:01 GMT 2002

On Thu, 2002-12-26 at 19:44, Sundaram Ramasamy wrote:

> I have Solaris machines that I'd like to use to
> gain access to SMB shared drives.  I can get a Linux box to
> mount SMB shares via samba.  I can get a Solaris box to access
> files on a Linux box using NFS.  Can I get the Solaris box to
> access files on the Linux box, which actually are mounted to SMB
> shares using samba (smbmount) on the Linux box?
>
> Is there any documents for this?
>
> Thanks
> -SR

If I understood right, and assuming your smb shares are on a windows
machine, you have something like this:

windows box  ====>    Linux box    ====>   Solaris box
              SMB                   NFS

If that's correct, what you wanna do is perfectly possible and legal.
You just need to mount the smb share from the (supposed) windows box to
the linux one using samba, and then reexport the directory with the
mount point using NFS to the solaris box... no extra docs are needed, be
sure to activate oplocks in the samba config file on linux box.

Regards,

--
Carlos Oliva G.
Igloo Sistemas Ltda.

"I've been mad for fucking years, absolutely years, been over the edge
for yonks, been working me buns off for bands..."