[Samba] Unable to install SWAT

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com daniel.jarboe at custserv.com
Thu Dec 26 20:55:01 GMT 2002

Ramakrishnan.S,

If you are using RH's samba packages, do you have the samba-swat rpm
installed?  "rpm -q samba-swat" will tell you.

If not, and you want to work with RH's rpm's, then install the package
with "rpm -Uhv samba-swat-2.2.1a-5.s390.rpm".  Instead of going with
this
old version, however, you should seriously consider removing the redhat
rpm's and rebuilding the SRPMS available from samba.org, to bring you up
to speed with version 2.2.7a.  Note: RH divides their samba rpm's into
multiple packages ("rpm -qa|grep '^samba'" will show you which you
should
remove before installing samba's rpm).  To rebuild SRPMS you can "rpm
--rebuild samba-2.2.7a-1.src.rpm", and then rpm -Uhv the resulting
samba-2.2.7a-1.s390.rpm.

Once you have RH's samba-swat package installed, or have samba's samba
package installed, you will need to update /etc/xinetd.d/swat and change
the only_from line to be the host.domain or ip.address of the computer
you will be connecting from, since you probably will not be connecting
from localhost.

After that, a "chkconfig swat on" will turn on swat... point your
browser
at http://swat-box:901 and you should be good to go.  You can then
'chkconfig swat off' when you are done to disable any more connections.

If you can't connect, make sure swat is listening with "netstat -l|grep
swat", and make sure your firewall isn't blocking incoming traffic to
port 901.

You will need to be root to install/remove packages, and to turn on/off
services like swat.

Good luck,
~ Daniel

This message is the property of Time Inc. or its affiliates. It may be
legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or
otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be
viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the
notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
Thank you.