[Samba] Error Saving Certain Files in Profile from Win XP PRO

___cliff rayman___ cliff at genwax.com
Tue Dec 24 01:31:01 GMT 2002

John H Terpstra wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, ___cliff rayman___ wrote:
>

>>running samba 2.2.7 on linux as a PDC.
>>client box is win XP PRO SP1.
>>
>>When shutting down windows i am getting an error message
>>as follows (paraphrased since it lasts for 30 seconds and disappears
>>no matter what you do *&*&#$#$ ):
>>
>>Problem saving profile Documents and Settings/Start Menu/Programs/
>>Accessoreis/Entertainment/Windows Media Player.lnk
>>

>drives me nuts. In the latter case, nothing short of re-installation of
>the Win NT/2K/XP machines seems to solve the problem.

ouch

>Another thing I found is that if the debug level is set to 0 when the
>client first negotiates roaming profile handling then no problems ensue,
>but if the debug level is set to 3 or more during first negotiation of

yes - i have been running at log level 10 to flush out all the problems
that i have been having. so,
when i jointed the domain, i was at log level 10.

>roaming profile handling for a freshly installed Win2K/XP system, then
>about 2 out of 3 stations will experience a problem. That problem could be
>anything from:
>
>1. Pop-up of notepad with the contents of what looks like a .ini file

this occurs with one of the login names from that machine, but so far,
not the others

>Secondly, embedding of '.' (dots) in a NetBIOS name is a very bad
>practice. If your Win2K clients use DNS for name resolution and your DNS
>domain is thecompany.com, then the above NetBIOS names would map to"
>
>	mars.genwax.test.thecompany.com

the fully qualified domain name of this server is "mars.genwax.test".  i
know that
is kind of strange, but this is a test server, on a test network, so it
has its own
ip addresses, domain, and netbios names.  i changed it to simply mars,
and it did
not change any of the system behavior.

>>        os level = 99
>>

>Why 99? An OS level of 33 is more than enough and setting it higher does
>not add anything. This is trivial so please ignore. My comment is just
>FYI.

got it from page 6 of the "Unofficial Samba How-To".

--
___cliff rayman___cliff at genwax.com___http://www.genwax.com/