[Samba] xp problem

pippo at bellnet.ca pippo at bellnet.ca
Mon Dec 23 17:08:32 GMT 2002

At 08:27 PM 12/21/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>Pippo,
>
>We will need more information than this to help you. Please explain in
>detail what happens when you try to access the WinXP machine from Win2K
>and vica versa.
>
>You need to explain how your samba is configured as well as how the
>Win2K/XP systems are configured. Without this information we would be jst
>guessing - not very productive.

Sorry, but I don't quite understand. I thought I had explained my setup
fairly concisely. The Win2k and XP boxes are configured for workgroup file
and printer sharing. There is no domain or domain server.
FBSD is running samba as a file and printer server. I can only see the XP
machine in My Network Places and the samba connection to the FBSD machine.
When FBSD is running, I can connect from the XP machine both for file and
printer access. When I try to connect to one of the other computers in the
workgroup, I get the message: the path could not be found.

Perhaps I am not clear enough: Before installing XP_Pro, I was able to see
and connect between Win2K machines as well as the FBSD both for file
shareing and printing. After installing XP, I can ping between the
machines, I can map to the shares, I can print from the XP but I can no
longer see the machines in the WORKGROUP on Network Neighborhood or Network
Places (Childish nomenclature by MS).

If I disconnect FBSD from the LAN, the Windows machines can, once again,
intercommunicate.

Perhaps I should dump the NetBEUI protocol on Windows and just map the
shares on each machine. (Kindof a pain, IYAM)

Maybe I just don't understand what the relationship should be between the
samba machine and the others.

The static address (192.168.1.240) of the FBSD machine show up as
WORKSTATION and not as COMPUTER_NAME.

If I may make an observation, it looks to me that MS is getting
kprogressively bloated an unecessarily complicated as it evolves. I am
trying to get away from it as much as possible but that is a little
difficult as too many "common people" are still brainwashed by MS.

Please let me know  what specifics I should provide. I have been searching
the documentation and the HOW_TO's with little success.

Pippo