[Samba] can not connect to the shared printer

Shak rob.shakir at ntlworld.com
Mon Dec 23 16:54:56 GMT 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 16:23, Xiaodong Zhang wrote:
> Hi there,
Hi,

> I'm learning Samba and I really appreciate somebody out there can help
> me out. I'm using RedHat advanced server and a windows 2000. I created
> workgroup on samba and only samba machine and win2k machine are
members.
> I shared the printer attached to the Linux. From win2k PC, I can see
the
> workgroup, but I can not find the samba host from the workgroup, nor
> does the printer. The smb.conf is attached.
>
> I run smbclient -NL <hostname> and it shows the printer under the
Sharename.
> If I run net view //<hostname>,  it returns that: "System error 53 has
> occured, the network pass was not found"
>
> I setup the samba 2 days ago, and the same problem happened then and
> now. BTW, I can mount a windows share from Linux, so I guess samba is
> running.

The fact that you can mount a samba share from Linux means nothing, this
is not dependant upon whether you have the smbd running. This is so you
dont have to have smbd running on every client machine (there are mixed
OS networks). The mount command using the -t smbfs depends totally on
whether the smbfs was compiled into the kernel under "File Systems".

The way to test whether the daemon is running would be to run:

ps aux | grep smbd

This should show you whether the smbd is running. If it is try
restarting it and looking in the Samba logs for any errors, if it isnt
then look it up.

> Thanks and merry Christmas.
>
> Xiaodong

HTH and a Merry Christmas to you (if you celebrate it),

Shak