[Samba] Problems with Backup Exec

Bruce Lane kyrrin at bluefeathertech.com
Mon Dec 23 04:54:00 GMT 2002

Fellow samba dancers,

	Here's my situation: I've got a NetBSD (1.6) box running smoothly enough with the most recent stable Samba release (2.2.7a). I have no problems whatsoever browsing, reading, and writing files from NT boxes to the shared directory using File Manager or Explorer.

	Our NT server is a PDC, and has Veritas Backup Exec 8.6 and a tape library on it. This serves as the central backup system for all the servers.

	My problem is that, for whatever reason, Backup Exec cannot attach to the share for read or write access. The directory selections are all visible and browseable from Backup Exec's selection window, but they remain grayed out and cannot be checkmarked for backup or restore.

	Backup Exec is using my own administrator-level account for access on the NT system, and the usernames and passwords are all consistent between the NT and BSD systems. I have Samba configured for domain level security, and encrypted passwords.

	Has anyone else run into this, and perhaps has a fix for it? It strikes me as truly bizarre that I would have full access to the samba share from Explorer, yet not from Backup Exec.

	Thanks in advance.

Bruce Lane, Owner & Head Hardware Heavy,
Blue Feather Technologies -- http://www.bluefeathertech.com
ARS KC7GR (Formerly WD6EOS) since 12-77 -- kyrrin at bluefeathertech.com
"I'll get a life when someone demonstrates that it would be superior
to what I have now..." (Taki Kogoma, aka Gym Z. Quirk)