[Samba] samba win2k network path not found error 53

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sun Dec 22 16:41:02 GMT 2002

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, shamu90 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am not using WINS and both machines are on the same subnet. Is there is
> any known issue of win2k with samba ?

The underlying issue with all MS Windows Networking (like Samba and Win2K)
is that if the TCP/IP networking is not corectly configured then it will
not work!

You did not help me to understand how your samba is configured.

Firstly, you need to make sure that all machines have correct TCP/IP
configuration.

Secondly, MS Windows networking involves a namespace that uses a method of
translating it's names to TCP/IP addresses that differs from basic TCP/IP
name resolution. In the absence of WINS, the resolution of a Windows
machine name to an IP address will be done via UDP broadcast. WINS is your
best friend - it saves a lot of heartache and significantly reduces
network broadcast traffic.

Something basic is broken in your network configuration.

So, first suggestion is "read the Entire-HOWTO-Collection" documentation
that is part of the samba sources (in the docs directory).

Then, when you are ready to receive help, please send me your smb.conf
file to <jht at samba.org> and I will try to help you further.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra