[Samba] LDAP, SASL, Invalid credentials???

Norberto Bensa nbensa at gmx.net
Sun Dec 22 14:15:01 GMT 2002

I'm sorry for this but it's driving me craaaaaaaazzyyyyyy....

My setup:
	samba: 2.2.7
	openldap: 2.0.25
	sasl: 1.5.27

I've configured my LDAP server (for testing purposes only) with
SASL/DIGEST-MD5 auth.

In slapd.conf
	rootdn	uin=root at bensa.ar
	sasl-realm	bensa.ar

# saslpasswd -u bensa.ar -c root
(I've set 'admin' as the password for root)

ldapsearch, ldapadd, ldapdelete, etc., do work.

in smb.conf
	ldap admin dn	= uin=root at bensa.ar

# smbpasswd -w admin
Setting stored password for "uin=root at bensa.ar" in secrets.tdb

# smbpasswd -D 15 -a nbensa
.
.
.
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
ldap_open_connection: starting...
Initializing connection to ldap.bensa.ar on port 389
ldap_open_connection: connection opened
ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as "uin=ldapadmin at bensa.ar"
Bind failed: Invalid credentials
ldap_open_connection: starting...
Initializing connection to ldap.bensa.ar on port 389
ldap_open_connection: connection opened
ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as "uin=ldapadmin at bensa.ar"
Bind failed: Invalid credentials
Failed to add entry for user nbensa.
Failed to modify password entry for user nbensa

Why??? Am I missing something here or is there a bug in smbpasswd when using
SASL in OpenLDAP, or it just doesn't work???

TIA,
Norberto