[Samba] Oplocks...again...

William Jojo jojowil at hvcc.edu
Thu Dec 19 23:20:59 GMT 2002

I would like to know if like the [homes] section mapped to a single user
at login time (H: drive) would have any of the problems discussed in
previous emails.

Specifically the oplock break issue. Since one and only one user can have
this space mapped in our  implementation (because of credential conflicts
that windows does not allow), how could a user have a detrimental
experience with oplocks?

Since only that user can open the files whether .xls, .mdb or .doc (don't
mean to pick on M$-Office) there should be no issue, right?

I ask primarily because I've had oplocks off for some time now, but am
always wondering about performance increases - I'll take them where I can
get them.

My other question is regarding a read-only share. We serve *lots* of
software from what we call our M: drive. How will oplocks and/or level2
oplocks help there? I'm not sure I see how they will. I'm at the mercy of
the randomness of served software, right?

Any info on this will help.

Thanks Samba Team - You've done a great job so far - it is greatly
appreciated!

Bill