[Samba] Re: Samba problems with Sco Openserver

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Dec 19 22:44:01 GMT 2002

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Adrian Stokes wrote:

> [...]

That command says:

List resources on 'localhost' as user null and password null. ie:
-Uusername%password, which are empty. ie: -U'nothing'%'nothing' == -U%.

> Added inetrface ip=192.168.x.x bcast= 192.168.x.x nmask=255.x.x.x
> Session Setup Failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password
> pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are Invalid.)

This means that your system lacks an account for the unix user that should
be used to allow your clients to retrieve the browse list from the IPC$
share. Please refer to man smb.conf and search for 'guest account'.

> So I had a look in the /etc/inetd.conf file and added the following two
> lines
>
> netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd smbd
> netbios-ns dgram tcp nowait root /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd nmbd

It is much better to run smbd and nmbd as Daemons, otherwise you may
experience browsing problems. Running through inetd is possible but bit
preferred.

> then ran kill -HUP id_no
>
> re running the smbclient command above resulted in the same error
> message, I can connect to the share from a windows client by
> \\servername\sharename it asks for password and accepts it this time.
> I'm still confused about the error message above but I seem to be making
> headway. Any input you can give will be greatfully recieved.
>
> regards
> Adrian

- John T.
--