[Samba] Add Win2kPro Workstation to new Linux PDC

Kenneth Illingsworth ILLINGSK at cityofrochester.gov
Thu Dec 19 21:01:02 GMT 2002

I created a new virtual Linux server running the Red Hat v7.2 distribution. After getting a MySQL/PHP application running, the next step was to add a Win2kPro Workstation to a new Linux PDC. Towards that end I modified the smb.conf file as described below to turn the virtual Linux server into a stand alone PDC. A 'MACHINE.SID' was created in the /usr/local/samba/private directory. Additionally, I created some Linux users and populated the smbpasswd file with them. When I now try to use the Network Identification tab of my workstations system properties to add it to the domain, I get an error dialog indicating that the computer cannot be added to the domain because 'the account used was a computer account. Use a 'global user or local user account to access this server'. How can I make one of the accounts that was used to populate the smbpasswd file a 'Global User' in SAMBA?

[global]
        smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
        wins server = 172.16.0.121
        domain master = True
        encrypt passwords = yes
        max log size = 0