[Samba] Profiles and Win2000

Arno Gramatke gramatke at zlw-ima.rwth-aachen.de
Thu Dec 19 15:30:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

FB> I still have a problem with Windows 2000 SP2 and Samba 2.2.7a:
FB> I set DeleteRoamingProfiles to 1 and deleted all old profiles.

I think the correct registry key is "DeleteRoamingCache". Take a look
at http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/142/

FB> Now Windows sometimes creates/backups a local profile for every user
FB> *and* every login, e.g.:
FB> user.domain, user.domain.000, user.domain.001, user.domain.002...
FB> I thought they were deleted after setting "csc policy = delete", but
FB> they aren't.

I'm not sure, but i think that "csc policy = ..." has got nothing to
do with the deletion of profiles on the clients.
See http://de.samba.org/samba/docs/man/smb.conf.5.html#CSCPOLICY
Apart from that you should set "csc policy = disable" for the profile
share, to prevent windows client from offline(!) caching (this is not to be
confused with saving the profile back to the server) the profiles. You
might have noticed some entries in the event log, stating that there
might be a problem with offline caching on the profile share).

So, the only thing you need to do, is set the correct registry key and
delete all old profile on the clients. Of course you have to make
sure, that the profiles share is writable.

Hope this helps.

cu
 Arno

--