[Samba] How important are oplocks?

Jim Morris jim at morris-world.com
Thu Dec 19 14:51:01 GMT 2002

On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 07:41, Jean-Paul ARGUDO wrote:

> But, again, I cant bet on a technology. I'm not playing poker and cant
> do it with files where maybe all the business of my company is based on.
> Thats why I've disabled oplocks.

I have had it disabled on all shared-file database extensions I know of
for years, while allowing it to be used for other files (Word docs for
example).  You do it selectively using the 'veto oplock files' option,
globally or for a share:

veto oplock files = /*.DBF/*.dbf/*.MDX/*.mdx/*.ITB/*.itb/*.MDB/*.mdb/

You get the picture..... it is a slash (/) separated list of filename or
filename patterns....

--