[Samba] How important are oplocks?

Jean-Paul ARGUDO jean.paul.argudo at pack-solutions.com
Thu Dec 19 14:43:01 GMT 2002

>>Super can be if you can add info or link about list of dangerous database
>>engines for oplocks...
>>Btw.  Foxpro 2.6 = is ok.
>>          Foxpro 7.. = bad.
>>          Clipper    =  dangerous...
>>exist this list for off oplocks?
> Thanks. But unfortunately, its not that simple.I doubt for example that
> one version of FoxPro will be good with oplocks, while another is bad.

Yes. Making such list is not a good idea I think.

Seems you all debate here of what the causes of the malfuntion could be
(or are), and I think you didnt understand my point of view. Seems you
arent considering all of the problem. (read above).

> When you see oplock problems, I guess you could say it is more client-OS
> and hardware dependant than it is on the software involve.

So?...

 > Most other applications do not have 2 or more users opening the same
 > file at the same time on a routine basis.

Sure. But you can't forbid people to drive because one of them maybe one
day will drive drunk :-)

I mean, in a production environment, It cant be half answers. It works
or it doesnt. Thats my point of view.

It is really interesting to know more about oplocks, why it works or
not, why this client OS, this application will fail with oplocks on.
And I really thank you all to share your knowledge on this!

But, again, I cant bet on a technology. I'm not playing poker and cant
do it with files where maybe all the business of my company is based on.
Thats why I've disabled oplocks.

I'm DBA maybe you'll understand why my principal fear is data loss. :-)

Thanks all again.

--
Jean-Paul ARGUDO