[Samba] Annoying Printer problem...Samba 2.2.7a on Debian 3.0 with lprng

Gareth Davies gdavies at willowbrook.co.uk
Thu Dec 19 11:41:01 GMT 2002

Hi all,

Have got Winbind working again successfully on another box, but this time
the printer won't work, it worked fine last time.

The printer installs fine, and it lets me print to it, but nothing comes out
on the printer, no sign of anything being sent to it.

I think it's a permissions problem or something...but I've not much clue
when it comes to printing on *nix how it actually works.

/etc/printcap:

LJ4500N:\
 :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lj4500n:\
 :mx#0:\
 :rm=192.168.2.20:\
 :done_jobs=0:\
 :rp=:\
 :sh:

Relevant lines from smb.conf:

 printer admin = root, @DOMAIN+IT, @lpd
        printing = lprng
        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P %p
        lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P %p %j
        lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc hold %p %j
        lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc release %p %j
        queuepause command = /usr/sbin/lpc stop %p
        queueresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc start %p

# HP Laserjet 4500N Share.
[lj4500n]
        comment = HP LaserJet 4500N
        path = /var/spool/samba
        read only = No
      # guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        print command = lpr -P lj4500n -r %s -h; rm %s
        printer name = lj4500n
        oplocks = No
        share modes = No
        admin users = @Domain+IT,
        valid users = @"Domain+Domain Users"
        create mask = 770

# Hidden printer drivers share.
[print$]
        path = /usr/printers
        admin users = root @lp, @Domain+IT
        write list = root @lp, @Domain+IT
        create mask = 0755
        guest ok = Yes

The drivers never seem to load from print$ either.

I can install the printer, but can't for the life of me get anything to
print, can't find any relevant log messages in /var/log/lpd.* or anywhere
else either.

Any suggestions as always much appreciated.

Shaolin