[Samba] How important are oplocks?

Brad sambauser at sportingwheelies.org.au
Thu Dec 19 01:41:01 GMT 2002

Hi Bob.

I had never had anything to do with the oplocks switch with routine samba
shares for file access, but I recently commissioned a new Samba server (Red
Hat 8.0) which is running a Windows time and attendance database and we had
intermittent problems opening a database session from various Windows PCs.
The Windows error was indicating that the database was in use and could not
be accessed by another user. Sure enough, when no one was logged in and one
workstation accessed the database, they could apparently get in every time.
However, this is a multi-user database that everyone should be able to get in
to.

By applying "oplocks = no" to the samba share, the problem was solved with
everyone now able to open a session every time. As speed is not crucial to
our usage I have not noticed any speed degradation.

Regards,
Brad