[Samba] max log size setting ignored

Tom Schaefer tom at umsl.edu
Wed Dec 18 22:19:03 GMT 2002

I work at a university and we are in the process of moving basically everything, and I mean everything to samba, eg.:

bash-2.03$ /usr/local/samba/bin/smbstatus | wc -l
    1669

As you might imagine my log.smbd grows quite rapidly.  Even at log level 1 it routinely exceeds 5 Meg. a day and then is renamed log.smbd.old and a new log.smbd is created.  NO MATTER WHAT I SET "max log size" equal to!  Be it a large value like 300000 which is what I want, or 0 for infinite, its just always seems to be ignored and the default 5000 is always in effect.

Is anybody else experiencing this?  I have a feeling it has to do with the sheer load this server experiences and/or the complexity of the smb.conf file although its really not THAT complex.  I'm doing the "dual personality" thing with
include = /usr/local/samba/lib/%L.smb.conf and make a lot of use of %U and %G and a bit of %S and some "force user" and some "force group" and "root prexec" and "root prexec close" but REALLY NOTHING THAT complicated and EVERYTHING works perfectly except for the "max log size" setting.

This used to happen when I used to build Samba with gcc on Solaris and it still happens although now I use Sun's Forte compiler.  I've been annoyed by this version after version of Samba and everytime I upgrade I always eagerly check if my log files will grow beyond 5 Meg and they never do.  I just upgraded to 2.2.7 last week and am still experiencing this problem so I've decided to finally post about it.

Tom Schaefer