[Samba] How important are oplocks?

Jim Morris jim at morris-world.com
Wed Dec 18 20:24:00 GMT 2002

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 11:24, John H Terpstra wrote:

> Keep in mind that NetWare can use IPX/SPX but more likely, for a number of
> years now is using NCP (NetWare Core Protocol) over TCP/IP.
>
> NCP is a well oiled machine compared with CIFS. However, when in Rome ...
> ie: If all your clients speak Swingoli it does no good to insist that
> Mockaputri is much better (not that I speak either of them!).

Oh - I wholeheartedly agree. I was just making the point about Netware
because a poster on this thread was comparing the performance of his
Netware server to Samba with oplocks disabled.  If your clients are
using SMB, obviously the server must speak SMB! ;-)

My Netware experience predates NCP over TCP/IP. I shutdown my last
Netware 3.11 server in 1994 to replace it with Samba on Linux!  That
server was a bear to get up too - it was on a PS/2 Model 80
(Microchannel anyone?), and I had to roll my own ethernet driver for
Linux to work with the Microchannel ethernet card I had available.  That
took about 2 weeks of kernel hacking at the time.... but ultimately, the
Samba on Linux solution scaled much better than Netware did on that
386-20 system.....
--