[Samba] Re: Winbindd question/problem

Gerd-Christian Michalke gmichalk at freegates.be
Wed Dec 18 20:16:01 GMT 2002

On Mittwoch, 18. Dezember 2002 21:03, Dan.Boskovich at piedmontng.com wrote:
> Dan Boskovich
> 12/18/2002 03:02 PM
>
> To:    Errsamba at lists.samba.org
> cc:
>
> Subject:    Re: Winbindd question/problem  (Document link: Dan Boskovich)
>
> I have just installed Samba 2.2.7 with Winbindd. I have been following a
> document called "Unified Logons between Windows NT ans UNIX using Winbind"
> Everything has gone smooth untill I got to the wbinfo command. When I run
> wbinfo -u I get the following error message:  Error looking up domain users
>
> Can anyone tell me what to do about this? I have installed this on an HP-UX
> 11.00 system.

Hello Dan,

I use Samba 2.2.5 on a SuSE Linux 8.1 and I had the same problem. My server is
PDC, File Server and print server. I resolved it by configuring the server as
a WINS server authoritative for my domain.

Here are the relevant parts of my smb.conf
[global]
        workgroup = CHERYLNET
        netbios name = HIROSHIMAN
        server string = Serveur samba (%h)
        encrypt passwords = yes
        netbios aliases = finance production
        include = /etc/samba/smb.%L.conf
        default service = default
        domain master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        local master = yes
        os level = 64
        security = user
        domain logons = yes
        wins support = yes

The other servers where set up this way :
[global]
        workgroup = CHERYLNET
        netbios name = BOULGA
        os level = 2
        time server = yes
        unix extensions = yes
        encrypt passwords = yes
        printing = CUPS
        printcap name = CUPS
        socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
        wins support = no
        character set = ISO8859-15
        client code page = 850
        security = domain
        password server = *
        winbind uid = 10000-20000
        winbind gid = 10000-20000
        winbind separator = +
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes
        wins server = 192.168.0.200
        veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/

Hope it helps

> Thanks,
>
> Dan Boskovich

Kind regards,