[Samba] Unable to lookup names to display / .NET client problem (fwd)

Myo M Thein theinm at cs.sunyit.edu
Wed Dec 18 19:21:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

I am running samba 2.2.7 on FreeBSD 4.7 as PDC with LDAP database backend.
I have serveral Windows XP Pro client.  Eveything fine about joining the
domain ( after change the reg key ), logging in.  But when I run, .NET
application on the client, it says user need to be in Debugger User Group
on local machine.  Is there any way to make it work ??  My workaround is
trying to change permission on some folders, assuming that if i add Domain
User as full permission, it might solve.  But when I add the permission,
it give me the error "Unable to lookup user names for display" and I
cann't add the group.  But I still can add individual user.  I need to add
the group since i have thousand of users and I cannot add all.

I searched around the mailing list and the unable to lookup names problem
is said to be fixed in ver 2.2.3.  But why am i haveing problem ?? Am I
doing something wrong ??

Here is my snipplet from my smb.conf file.

        ldap admin dn = "cn=root,dc=cs,dc=mydomain,dc=com"
        ldap server = directory.cs.mydomain.com
        ldap suffix = "ou=People,dc=cs,dc=mydomain,dc=com"
        ldap port = 389
        ldap ssl = start tls

##
## Passwords & Authentication