[Samba] How important are oplocks?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Dec 18 17:26:55 GMT 2002

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Jim Morris wrote:

> I'll hazard a bet that if one were to examine the Netware IPX/SPX
> protocol, it is nowhere nearly as convoluted and ad-hoc as the SMB
> protocol, which Microsoft hodge-podged together.  You really have to
> step back and think about the amount of effort involved by the Samba
> Team in faithfully reverse engineering and reproducing all the intricate
> details of a protocol that is such a mess!

Jim,

Keep in mind that NetWare can use IPX/SPX but more likely, for a number of
years now is using NCP (NetWare Core Protocol) over TCP/IP.

NCP is a well oiled machine compared with CIFS. However, when in Rome ...
ie: If all your clients speak Swingoli it does no good to insist that
Mockaputri is much better (not that I speak either of them!).

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org