[Samba] How important are oplocks?

Trey Nolen tnolen at internetpro.net
Wed Dec 18 17:01:32 GMT 2002

> If Samba is corrupting the data files, then why wouldn't this be turned
OFF by
> default?  I would think data corruption would be a major, MAJOR problem,
and
> reduce the usability of Samba.  Is this really true?

Yep, it's true. There has been a lot of discussion on it. Check over the
archives.  I agree that oplocks should be turned off by default, but it
causes a big performance hit. People that are just trying Samba or don't
know much about it would probably just drop it instead of trying to get
better performance.  I guess the developers figure it is more important to
have a lot of people using it than to protect data.  Unfortunately, this
problem has been around a long time, so I guess it is just not fixable.  In
Samba's defense, I have used programs that advised you to turn off oplocks
even if using an NT(or 2000) server.  It just seems to affect Samba more
than NT.

Trey Nolen
<donning flame resistant suit now....>