[Samba] How important are oplocks?

Jean-Paul ARGUDO jean.paul.argudo at pack-solutions.com
Wed Dec 18 13:44:01 GMT 2002

> But, some times that can result in corrupted files back on the server if...

... no need to say more :-)

IMHO, this is a real good reason to disable oplocks.

I don't believe that in a production environment one could take such a
risk. I personaly had Excel files corrupted. Had to take it back from
backup sets. I really had to find good BOFH excuses for my users :-/

Editing the corrupted .xls file, I found that Samba loggued kind of
samba log output in it instead putting it to /var/log/log.smbd :-)

Search for my mail on bug 26128 in this list for example and/or more info.

I really think oplocks could be is real good thing if there were no such
risks using it :-)

Cheers,

--
Jean-Paul ARGUDO