[Samba] Integrating a samba server in a samba controlled domain

Gerd-Christian Michalke gmichalk at freegates.be
Wed Dec 18 10:45:01 GMT 2002

On Mittwoch, 18. Dezember 2002 11:23, Marian Mlcoch, Ing wrote:
> I rewrite you mail from list :
>
> You have not yet joined the Samba machine to the domain, so the domain
> controller doesn't know the machine yet. Here's what I understand you'll
> need
> to do; others may have more to say on the subject:
>
> Use smbpasswd (as root) to add the machine VLOUCHI to the domain. There are
> two
>     ways this is done:
>
>     a. If the computer's trust account is already set up on the domain
>
>         controller, do:
> > smbpasswd -j DN
>
> where DN is the name of the domain you're joining.
>
>    b. If the trust account is not set up on the PDC, do this:
> > smbpasswd -j DN -U <username>
>
> where <username> is a name authorized to add computers to the domain. If
> you don't have such a username, you'll have to get a suitable admin to add
> the trust account on the PDC and then do step a above.

The trust did actually exist (sorry, I forgot to mention it) ; I have a Linux
user named vlouchi$ and in /etc/samba/smbpasswd, the line with vlouchi$ also
does exist, so I guess it must be OK.

By typing

smbclient -L hiroshiman

I saw that I had a DNS problem, which I resolved into adding the adhoc entries
in /etc/hosts (ok, it is quick and dirty)

Typing

smbpasswd -j CHERYLNET -r HIROSHIMAN -U root

Now works, but I cannot still access to the share on VLOUCHI

I guess, I'll have to dig into Winbind, now.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I am really a Samba and Windows networks newbie,
so thanks a lot for your patience

Regards
Gerd