[Samba] Trouble with my printer

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Tue Dec 17 23:33:00 GMT 2002

Here is a sample working print definition:

I have guest set to ftp in my global section.
The echo stuff is just to log the jobs.
The %J contains the file name sent from windows.
The lpr -Plp -J stuff puts the windows file name (sent as the banner name)
into your print queue.

Samba definition:
[lp]
	comment = Raw Printer for Z53
	path = /tmp
	create mask = 0700
	guest ok = yes
	hosts allow = 192.168.
	printable = Yes
	printing = lprng
 	print command = echo %J %p %s  >>  /tmp/junkJ;\
                       a="`echo '%J' | sed "s/^.*- //"`" ;\
	               echo This is truncated $a >> /tmp/junkJ;\
                       /usr/bin/lpr -Plp  -J"$a"  %s;\
                       rm %s
	lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -Plp
	lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Plp %j
	lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc hold -Plp %j
	lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc release -Plp %j
	printer name = lp

The lp definition in /etc/printcap is:

lp|LP|z53-outfiles:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
	:mx#0:\
	:lp=/dev/lp0:\
	:sh:rw:

Note, this is a raw queue, without a filter specified. It just passes
the job straight to the printer.

Joel