[Samba] Re: samba PDC and windows xp profiles...

D. Aaron McCaleb amccaleb at reed-engineering.com
Tue Dec 17 20:10:02 GMT 2002

OK, after downloading the entire source for Samba 2.2.7a and compiling,
instead of simply patching up to 2.2.7a, I no longer have the issue of
writing to the Cookies folder in the win9x profile.  There is an issue with
the win9x machine not shutting down, but that may be a machine issue, so I
will troubleshoot that some more.

However, the winXP is getting a new error which I am not 100% sure about:

"Windows did not load your roaming profile and is attempting to log you on
with your local profile.  Changes to profile will not be copied to the
server when you log off.  Windows did not load your profile because a server
copy of the profile folder already exists that does not have the correct
security.  Either the current user or the Administrator's group must be the
owner of the folder.  Contact your network administrator."

Again, here is the smb.conf and ls -l of the profiles folder:

drwxrwxrwt    4 root     users        4096 Dec  9 16:28 profiles

and profiles/

drwxrwxrwx    2 banderso geo          4096 Dec  6 17:05 banderson

(Obviously, the username is banderson, and the users group is geo (the grp
ownership was root, to begin with, but I changed it to geo and got the same
error)

smb.conf:
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
# Date: 2002/11/17 15:45:04

# Global parameters
[global]
; Basic server settings
        workgroup = REEDNET
        netbios name = REGMAIN
        security = USER

; we should act as the domain and local master browser
        os level = 65
        domain master = yes
        local master = yes
        preferred master = yes

; encrypted passwords are a requirement for a PDC
        encrypt passwords = yes

; support domain logons
        domain logons = yes

; where to store user profiles?
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U

; where is a user's home directory and where should it
; be mounted at?
        logon drive = x:
        logon home = \\%L\%U\.profile

; needed for win9x profiles
        preserve case = yes
        short preserve case = yes
        case sensitive = no

; specify a generic logon script for all users
; this is a relative **DOS** path to (from) the [netlogon] share
        logon script = logon.bat

; specific password (lack of) requirements
        min passwd length = 0
        null passwords = yes

        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd -u %u
        unix password sync = yes

; Logging options
        log level = 3
        log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
        max log size = 50

; Tuning options
        deadtime = 15
        keepalive = 0

; Special users and handlers
        domain admin group = root amccaleb
        message command = /bin/mail -s 'message from %f on %m' root < %s; rm
%s
        hide local users = no
        admin users = root amccaleb
        wins support = yes
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 110 -s
/bin/false -M
 %u

[homes]
        path = %H
        valid users = %S
        read only = no
        guest ok = no
        create mask = 0777
        directory mask = 0777
        browseable = yes
        level2 oplocks = yes
        dos filetimes = yes

; share for storing nt/2k/xp user profiles
[profiles]
        path=/srv/profiles
        read only = no
        create mask = 0777