[Samba] Windows 2000 Printers: "Access Denied, Unable to Connect"

David Neilson DNeilson at westfam.com
Tue Dec 17 19:49:01 GMT 2002

Unless I make a user a member of the printer admin group in the smb.conf
file on the Linux Samba Server, on the W2K client the printer will show up
as "Access Denied, Unable to Connect".  The user can still connect and print
to that printer, however.  I just want to get rid of that incorrect status
message, because it will cause confusion.

Here are the relevant parts of the smb.conf file.  Thanks in advance:

[global]
   workgroup = WIN
   hosts allow = 172.16.
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   printing = lprng
   security = domain
   password server = *
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   os level = 0

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba/public
   browseable = no
   printable = yes
   public = yes
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700

[lp11]
   comment=David's Printer
   path=/home/dneilson
   create mask = 0700
   writable = yes
   public = yes
   guest ok = yes
   hosts allow = 172.16.
   printable = yes
   printing = lprng
   print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -Plp11 %s
   lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -Plp11 %j
   lprm command = /usr/sbin/lprm -Plp11 %j
   printer name = lp11
   share modes = no
   printer admin = tiberius,root,dneilson
   queuepause command = /usr/sbin/lpc stop %p
   queueresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc start %p

David Neilson
Western Family Foods, Inc.
System Administrator
503 639 6300 x370