[Samba] File Locking and MS Access

Mark Ehle mehle at willard.lib.mi.us
Tue Dec 17 19:14:01 GMT 2002

Why? MySql and MyOBDC are free, and perform much better than Access. You
still use access to, well, access the MySQL server. The data sits on the
server and MySQL handles the transactions. You can even put MySQL on a
windows machine if you want to. It works pretty well that way.

I just finished a project that used Access in a multi-user environment.
It performed well unless somebody opened the database in exclusive mode.
This caused no end of problems. When I switched it over to MySQL and
MyOBDC, all the problems went away and the system was far more
securable. The users still saw exactly the same access front end that
they were used to. MS will tell you that Access can handle up to 256
users, but they are full of it. Go with a real database server instead -
your life will be much improved because of it. Been there, done that!

Mark