[Samba] slowness when using roaming profiles

Gareth Davies gdavies at willowbrook.co.uk
Tue Dec 17 18:24:01 GMT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jacob Smith" <jacob at globalsat.com>
To: <ahologounis at penguinnetworking.com>; <samba at lists.samba.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 4:23 PM
Subject: RE: [Samba] slowness when using roaming profiles

> make sure that your users know that folders like there "Desktop" get
> transferred every time they log on and off.  So if they have large files
or
> folders on there desktop it will severely slow things down.

<snip>

I had this problem before and it was down to Temporary Internet Files and
E-mail.

Make sure E-mail is stored on a network mapped drive, not in the profile,
run a vbs that removes anything from people's desktops and puts it in their
home directory.

Outlook Express was our main culprit, every time an attachment is viewed in
OE it's stored in Temp Inet files...so that gets huge fast.

The profile gets copied to and fro every time a user logs on or off so make
sure they are as small as possible.

In the end we implemented a quota so if someones profile went over 10MB they
couldn't log off, so they had to sort it out before they left.

P.S. this is not a SAMBA related issue :)

HTH

Shaolin

.: http://www.security-forums.com :.