[Samba] Still having trouble with copying large files

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Tue Dec 17 17:49:00 GMT 2002

I believe smbclient should have no more problems with large files.
smbtar is just a shell script that calls smbclient so you could
modify it to do a cd first or just use the tar command in smbclient.

smbclient //server/share -Uuser%password -c "cd directory" -Tc
backup.tar

Colin Davis wrote:

> Thank you for the suggestion. I've been looking at SMBTAR, but I don't
> see a way to specify specific directories to back up with it, only
> entire shares.
> For example, if I wanted to backup the "h:\stuff goes here" , by logging
> into the "h$" Administrative share.
>
> Is there a way to do this with SMBTAR?
>
> I'd also love to know if there is a patch anywhere to fix smbfs, or what
> I should do. Would using smbclient work better?
>
> I appreciate your help,
> Colin

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177
PGP Key: 0x8408D65D