[Samba] Newbie question re Samba

Steve Thom samba at steventhom.com
Tue Dec 17 13:18:01 GMT 2002

Charlie,

You are in the correct group.

Most problems like this are related to Linux permissions. Try to make a
habit of assigning group permissions to the directory being shared, and make
certain the user is a member of that group. If your user has read-write
permissions to that directory, your problem should be solved.

File and directory permission changes should be immediate, i.e. you should
not need to restart Samba to effect the changes.

I strongly recommend using Webmin (www.webmin.com) to manage your server.
You can easily set permissions through the file manager, and at the same
time manage your Samba server. All is done via a web browser, so you can do
it from the client.

Steve