[Samba] Access to Everyone

Craig Wright cwright at froude.fki-et.com
Tue Dec 17 12:12:00 GMT 2002

	Thanks for the response Calvin

> You can force all users to be recognized as a single user.  Set
> permissions on
> the directory to
>
> drwxrwsrws nobody nobody /home/technical

	Not sure of the correct chmod command to get drwxrwsrws CHMOD ????

> [Technical]
> comment  = Technical
> browseable = yes
> path = /home/technical
> valid users = +users
> force create  mode = 0777
> fforce directory mode = 0777
> force user = nobody
> force group = nobody
>
> Works good for me . . .

	I'm not sure it is quite what I'm after. I don't think I explained myself
to well so I'll try again.

	I have a directory /drawing/froude that is written to by a user
administrator this user exists in windows samba & unix 	the directory
permissions are drwxrwxr-x administrator.Administrators. I also need to
allow anyone to see this 	directory via windows in Read only mode, but
without the need to type in a username & password because they don't exist
in unix or samba. Is this possible whilst in security = user mode? I know it
can be done in security = share mode but 	am reluctant to revert to that as
it causes me other problems elsewhere. The relevant bits from my smb.conf
file are 	below. As the settings are here any attempt to connect to altair
gets a username prompt unless the user exists in 	unix/samba.

	[Global]
	  smbpasswd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        wins server = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        pam password change = yes
        encrypt passwords = yes
        hosts allow = xxx.xxx.xxx. 127.
        preferred master = no
        obey pam restrictions = yes
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
*passwd:*al
        l*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
        security = user
        unix password sync = Yes
        workgroup = FROUDECONSINE
        server string = altair samba
        netbios name = altair
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        load printers = yes
	  guest account = pcguest

	[Write]
        path = /drawing/froude
        create mode = 664
        directory mode = 775
        comment = Print Room Cabinets
        public = no
        force user = administrator
        write list = administrator,admin,root, at Administrators

	[Read]
	  path = /drawing/froude
        comment = Print Room RO
        public = yes