[Samba] IP address change fouls things up.

Bishop, Dean dean.bishop at tcdsb.org
Tue Dec 17 04:21:01 GMT 2002

Good morning,

  i recently had to change the IP address of my RH7.3 samba file server.
The config is pretty much standard and had been working for about a year.

  Once i changed the IP address, i started getting the message "the domain
password you supplied is not correct, or access to your logon server has
been denied".

 Changing my IP address back resolves the issue.  Also, adding a "netbios
name" directive to my smb.conf that changes the name of my server solves the
problem.

  i have rebooted everythang a bunch of times, checked hosts files, dns
entries. i just cannot figure out what is causing the problem.

  Is there someplace where the netbios name is cached that survives reboots?

Normally my server uses its linux name of "HER" for it's netbios name.  It's
old IP address is 192.168.0.4 and it's new address is 192.168.5.4.

thanks in advance,
dean

[global]

   workgroup = KISSES
   netbios name = BIGSERVER
   server string = Samba Server
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   printing = lprng
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 0
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   remote announce = 192.168.2.255 192.168.1.255 192.168.3.255 192.168.4.255
   local master = yes
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain logons = yes