[Samba] Dumb question time

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Mon Dec 16 22:52:01 GMT 2002

A dumb question deserves a dumb answer!  Or several dumb answers.

It the file being deleted from the servers hard drive, or just from the
explorer window?

What user is logged into samba from the client? I would look at the
following variables when the user logs in. You can catch these in a
preexec script in a share: %G %g %U %u %H

I just noticed in my smb.conf I have guest user = root. Makes things easy
but not too secure! Are you changing user id's when they log in? The
variables above will tell you.

If you copy and paste files with explorer, what are the permissions on
the new file?

Joel