[Samba] samba, RH7.3 and windows NT/2K/XP problem?

hongwei at morpheus.wustl.edu hongwei at morpheus.wustl.edu
Mon Dec 16 20:03:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

We have a couple of RH7.3 systems.  Both have samba installed and they
were running well before.  Now, one system's samba shows a problem after
the system rebooting yesterday.  Samba is still running and all windows
95, 98 users can access this RH7.3 system without any problem, but
windows NT/2000/XP users cannot access it now.  Before the rebooting, all
windows (including nt/2k/xp) users can access it, and I didnot make any
change for samba before/after this rebooting.  Meanwhile, the second
RH7.3, that has the same configuration for samba as the first RH7.3
system, still works well -- all windows (95/98/nt/2k/xp) users can access
it w/o any problem.

The following is the smb.conf:

[global]
   workgroup = wumdanesres
   server string = Samba Server 2.2.3a RH7.3
   hosts allow = 128.252.85.  127.
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 0
   security = user
   dns proxy = yes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   valid users = %S
   create mode = 0755
[common]
   comment = UNIT public partition
   path = /unitdisk/common
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   create mode = 0755
...... (a few other shared folders)

All windows (nt/2k/xp) set EnablePlainTextPassword = 1.  I checked
/var/log/samba/, but there is no log file(s) for windows nt/2k/xp (I
didn't check this folder for the machine name before this rebooting when
samba was working well), only log files for windows 95/98.  When I try
connect samba folder from any nt/2k/xp, I get message "access denied",
"password wrong", or simply just does not connect.  If I go to windows 98
systems, then I can connect to the samba server.  I remember that several
weeks ago I changed my windows password.  Somebody said that may cause
the problem.  I don't understand that.  If that is the cause, how to
treat it?  Also, I and many users never use the same password for windows
and the linux system, and we always set security = user.  It does not
show problem before.

I could not figure out what's wrong.  Can somebody help me?  Thanks!

Hongwei Li

Jumping through hoops to get E-mail on the road?
You've got two choices: Join the circus, or use Molly Mail.

Molly Mail -- http://www.mollymail.com
Having trouble sending email from different locations ?
Need a single outgoing mail server that will work from anywhere ?

Set it to smtp.com and never have to change it again !

http://www.smtp.com