[Samba] can't print more copys than one

Phil tooltime666 at gmx.de
Mon Dec 16 16:32:00 GMT 2002

> I assume you get multiple copies when the printer is connected directly to
> the windows client.

Of course, you're right. I get multiple copies if I boot Windows and I also
get multible copies trying to print from another Windows-Box over then network
(same Driver/OS).
But I think Windows have a other way to manage that ?!

> We had the same complaint a while back. Are you the same person that
> complained before? I looked into how the multiple copy
> thing worked at that time.

While back? -> 3 Days ago I posted the same question with a different subject-line.
No one answered - so I posted again.

> I did some testing. I used a postscript format for the print jobs.
> From both linux (abiword) and windows (word), only a single document is sent
> to print.  Contained within each document was the code (postscript is a
> computer language which runs on some printers.) to output multiple copies.
> That is, samba has no influence on the number of copies printed, at least with
> postscript printers.
>
> So, maybe this is a driver problem, not a samba problem?

The next time buying a printer I will be smarter! ..but it is no Postscriptprinter!
(I know it could be so easy *grr*)

I did also some testing and you're right:
I printed a letter into a file (in Windows with multible copies), copied the file onto the Linux-Box and
did some 'cat file > /dev/lp0' .. result: Only one copy.
So it is not a samba problem! .. but why does this work in Windows
(also over the network .. see above) ??

> Shifting now to pure speculation, maybe the windows client computer and
> the printer need to be in two way communication to allow multiple copies
> to be printed.
>
> I have found (On my little home network) that the best solution to
> most printing problems is to set up a queue on the linux server which
> handles postscript files well, and then send everything to that queue
> as a postscript job. I use HP Laserjet III + and it works fine, and all
> flavors of windows seems to have that printer driver available.

I tried, but I found no usefull method to print postscript files with a
non-postscript-printer.

pstotext with pipe to lpr is not really rocking *gg*

Thanks for your help!
Phil