[Samba] Create time changing by itself?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Dec 16 14:04:01 GMT 2002

Are there some known problems related to ctime changing by itself? I
didn't find anything with google at least. tar seems to be complaining
about it all the time:

[cras at hurina] ~% tar cf test.tar /mnt/cygwin/home
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
tar: /mnt/cygwin/home/Timo Sirainen/xxx/xxxxx.xxx: file changed as we read it

This happens with my Debian/unstable (samba 2.999+3.0.alpha20-4, 2.4.19
kernel) but also with default Redhat 8 installation. With the Redhat
system cp'ing files also complains about this. Both are reading files
shared by Windows 2000 (mount //comp/c$ /mnt -o username=xx).

It seems to happen mostly when taring larger files. 10MB file was enough
with my Debian system. It also needs to read a couple of files before
the larger one.