[Samba] Re: Access Samba Servers from the Internet?

Jean-Paul ARGUDO jean.paul.argudo at pack-solutions.com
Mon Dec 16 11:32:00 GMT 2002

First of all,

Thanks a lot John for take the time to make such precise and valuable
answers. I am really impressed to read all your answers in this list,
and I know all difficult and long it is, for answering myself about
question on PostgreSQL in IRC and Mailing lists.

> PS: "Master Browser" does not mean that same as "Domain Controller" at
> all!
> [...] use WINS [...]
> Note: Again, none of this has anything to do with domain control (or what
> many prefer to call PDC).
 > [...]
> PDC means "Master Authentication Controller" - NOT "Master Browser".
> Please read my comments above very carefully.
 > [...]
> WINS is your best friend

Thanks for this answers. I promise to read again and again about NetBios
in all the HOWTOS of Samba. I now know that my problems could be solved
using my Samba PDC act as a WINS server too...

As you may know, I use a VPN MPLS solution with my internet provider. He
just told me today that routers are configured to block NetBIOS traffic
by default. :-/

He's doing what needs to be done to allow NetBIOS traffic between two
sites (192.168.0 where the samba box resides and distant 192.168.1..).

I'm doing tests now with Samba PDC acting has a Wins server too.

I'll put in this list my complete configuration and network schemes when
all will work, in the case other persons would do the same.

 > One needs to understand the NetBIOS
> protocols to solve a NetBIOS problem - few TCP/IP admins care to do that!

I'll take the time to read more over about NetBIOS.

> "If you want to catch lots of fish, as a fisherman you need to think
 > like a fish!"

:-)

--
Jean-Paul ARGUDO